View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003, 05:22 PM

Brian,

At the risk of sounding sexist, I think the reason a disproportionate number of women take their cars to the dealer is that they have no idea about any aspect of their cars. (To be fair to women, I think most men are the same way.)
And they're convinced that the dealer "really knows" the car --after all they sold it to them!
So I think it requires more than a just a clean facility -- you have to educate them to the reality that they're being ripped off at the dealership.

And for the record, I think your idea is a sound one. You clearly have the business savvy to figure out if it's viable. Just don't overestimate your ability to draw customers -- no product ever "sells itself". And when it comes to getting and holding onto good techs: it's tough to match the pay rate of a dealership when you're undercutting their labor rate by $20/hour.

In case you haven't figured it out -- I've thought long and hard about a very similar concept. I hope you can pull it off. And I'd love to "pick your brain" if you do.

Good luck.

Jeff Pierce

Current Vehicles:
'92 Mercedes 190E/2.3 (247K miles/my daily driver)
'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon (263K miles/a family truckster with spunk)
'99 Kawasaki Concours
Gravely 8120
Previous Vehicles:
'85 Jeep CJ-7 w/ Fisher plow (226K miles)'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon
'53 Willys-Overland Pickup
'85 Honda 750F Interceptor
'93 Nissan Quest
'89 Toyota Camry Wagon
'89 Dodge Raider
'81 Honda CB 750F Super Sport
'88 Toyota Celica
'95 Toyota Tacoma