View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Banned

Having owned quite a few VW NA diesels, as well as working in a VW/Volvo shop for a brief spell in the early '90's, I give them a qualified 'thumbs-up'.

Timing belts-timing belts-timing belts...learn it, know it, live it. Any VW diesel owner should repeat that mantra on a daily basis. Every 60k replace them as if it were a religious homage to Rudy D himself, otherwise, you'll be eating a head, or worse--trust me BTDT.

I had an '80 Rabbit that went to 275k without major problems. Our '96 Passat tdi has reached 130k with no problems whatsoever. I believe the newer tdi's are the best engine VW has ever built, bar none.

Quote:
The sociologist in me says that since MB's were much more expensive than VW's to start with, that the owners of MB's could afford to be more meticulous with maintenance that VW owners. So old high mileage MB's are more likely to be in better condition than a similar vintage VW.
I concur, and this jibes with my own anecdotal observations over the years. The VW is not an inherently inferior engine by design. Their lower initial price typically ensures that they fall into younger and poorer hands sooner, thus increasing the likelihood of improper maintenance and repair procedures etc.

I'd say go ahead and pick up a VW, but Caveat Emptor. Always try to purchase from the first or second owner, rather than from a car dealer or from the umpteenth owner.

Good luck