View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 05:59 PM

89 300TE questions

I recently bought an 89 300TE (134,000mi) that I love, but it has several issues that I'd like some advice on:
1. Intermittent SRS light
The SRS light comes on intermittently after driving for more than half an hour, especially in warm weather. It flickers occasionally, then eventually stays on nearly all the time as I continue to drive. I've seen some postings about this being related to the seat belt latch, or some other device near the transmission housing, but it's not clear to me what to look for. I doubt this is caused by the contact rings in the steering, since it's so consistently linked to time and temperature. Help!
2. Rough idle & difficulty starting when warm.
I've read a number of postings about this, and it's clearly difficult to diagnose. The injectors, plugs, cap, rotor, both fuel pumps, and EHS tower were all replaced recently (before I bought the car). What's the next thing to check? The car starts fine when cold, but often requires two or three attempts when warm. It also seems to idle slightly lower and start with more difficulty when the A/C is on.
3. Coolant temperature
I've noticed that the windshield washer fluid is being evaporated at the rate of about a quart/month because of the heated coil that comes from the engine cooling system. The temp gauge indicates ~80-85C most of the time (except when stopped in hot weather with AC on).
4. OVP
I've seen many postings regarding the maligned OVP, but I've been unable to find one on my car. I looked all around the battery, removed the black plastic piece behind the battery and checked there, and still don't see anything with the expected blue or red fuse on it. Can someone post a photo or describe more clearly what to look for?
5. Climate control
Is it possible to get a temperature sticker for the climate control that's marked in Fahrenheit? It just annoys me that the external gauge reads in different units than the climate control knob.

Thanks in advance for the help!