View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Unbanned...?

As the author of that post, I'll agree... just upgrade the alternator. The smaller stock ones are wimpy. You can get a 143A unit for about $100. Run the beefiest cable possible to the amps, 4 gauge minimum, and if you plan a real serious install (or multple large amps) run two 4ga cables or one zero gauge. A capacitor will help cure "disco headlights" when the bass hits, or disco dash lights if you have true HID's. Phonenix Gold makes a SWEET 10-farad cap that looks like an amp, and has an integral power distribution block (Tantrum PowerGrid, cheapest source is on eBay, but probably non-authorized so no warranty even though they're new). Otherwise a standard cap or two (1 farad) may be ok, but do the alternator FIRST, and the cap second (Not the other way around!!).

BTW: 800 watts does not always equal 800 watts. A 50 watt Fosgate, Orion, or Soundstream amp will usually put out WAY more power than an "800 watt" Legacy, etc or similar cheap amp. A good hint of power output is what the amp's fuse size is. My Soundstream Reference 1000sx has an 80 amp fuse, for example, and is rated 200 watts per channel into 2 channels at 4 ohms. If your 800w amp has a 30A fuse, you can bet it can't put out serious power. What brand and model amp do you have?

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!