View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 02:59 PM

I will attempt to respond to the various responses to my post.

Why do I need to replace rather than to repair?

These early SL clusters have an inherent design problem that causes them to reset at the drop of a hat. MB does not offer a repair nor replacement PC Board for the Cluster. They only offer the upgrade to the newer version with the all electronic odometer.

If I choose to repair it, what guarantee do I have that the problem won't come back? Yes, there will be a limited warranty on the repaired unit but it is intermittent and warranties only last a few months. So far I have an estimate of 375.00 plus shipping from the place in florida. Is there more than one shop in Florida? This one was "Auto and Truck Electronics" and I found them via a thread on this forum.

Once I pay 375.00 I am close to the value of a used new-style cluster so why not change it out... Yes, there is a risk that the replacement may have a problem...

My concern is that I want to maintain the accurate mileage even though my car has 152k... I don't want anyone to think I put a lower mileage unit in just to make the car younger.

Research has informed me that MB will ship a new unit with the corect mileage if I order it from them. Their price just knocks me over 1100-1400.00 is what I am hearing. The dealers have no way to set the miles, but MB could offer the service if they wanted to, but they'd rather you used a NEW part.

I have heard from someone that knows someone that will set it to whatever I want for a nominal fee... I will need this service if I replace with a used unit, but I'm not sure that I will want to know who actually set it for me. LOL

I am also hearing that the cluster from a 94-95 S series (140 class) will fit and work fine except I will need to move over the plastic strips for the warning lights.
This unit might be easier to locate on the used market.

Decisions, Decisions...

Of course, I need a new soft top more than I need the cluster fixed!!! I guess I can use the hard top till spring comes around!

Thanks for all the input.

Stan
87 300E (Sold)
83 300D Turbo (Sold)
75 300D (Sold)
74 240D (Sold after 20 years)
65 Mustang 5.0 (w/Electronic Fuel Injection)