View Single Post
Old 11-27-2000, 09:41 PM

The 6 cyl 3 liter engine used between 1986 and 1987 (300D and 300 SDL) are good strong engine with some problems. The 6 cyl engine resurfaced again between 1990 thru 1994 with a large displacement, 3.5 liter. From the information I got, many people had major problems with the 3.5 liter engine.

I am not going into the problems with the 3.5 liter but here are the problems with the 3 liter engine. You may want to know them before you buy one:

(1) It has an aluminum head. The orignal design of the head was bad and easy to crack.
The replacement head should be the improved version and better. If you get the engine overheated with an improved head, you still can damage it just like any other car with aluminum head.

(2) Bent rod occurs when the engine sucks in a solid hard carbon disposit which comes off the inner surface of the intake manifold. The carbon is formed inside the manifold due to the exhaust gas coming thru the EGR valve.

(3) There were early reports about oil pump failure due to a screw working it way into the oil pump from the oil pan.

I got most of the information from this forum. You can do a search to learn more about it.

David