View Single Post
Old 04-07-1999, 02:48 PM
Lee Scheeler

Ah, the eternal battle with swirl marks! j/k I am taking delivery of a 92 500E that is pearl black that has its share of swirl marks(for now, just wait till I get my hands on it!) so I can deeply sympathize. *Be looking for a detailing article with pics covering that project soon* As for as products go...the three you mentioned 3M, Zymol, and Meguirs are all top quality products. I would have to give the nod to 3M or especially Meguiars. Zymol looks great but is a colossal pain in the butt to use. You can get comparable results with the others with alot less effort. Unless you detail for exercise I think the other two are a better bet all around. Assuming you have washed and dried the finish For this take I would go with the Meguiars professional line known as "Mirror Glaze" that comes in a tan bottle. Of course, all these steps should be done in the shade or indoors under BRIGHT lighting. (I have a set of 500w Halogen spotlights) I would start with say...Meguirs #9 Swirl Remover. You can do it by hand but an orbital buffer with 100% cotton pad can speed things up if you are careful. Apply the #9 to the finish and buff vigoriously. Then remove with linear strokes of a 100%(including threads/seams) terrycloth. Following that I would examine the paint visually and under sunlight or intense light to see if you have eliminated the swirls. Remember, swirls are scratches in the paint. Therefore to remove them completely they have to be buffed out by removing paint. If you have not removed the marks or not removed them to a satisfacotry degree you can repeat the previous steps with the #9 again. I always prefer to make multiple steps of something less harsh than one step of something harsher. Assuming you have buffed the swirls out to your satisfaction the next step would be to polish. Using Meguiars #7 "show car glaze", apply and buff with a clean 100%cotton covered foam applicator pad or 100% cotton orbital buffer pad. Then remove with a separate, clean, 100% cotton terry. For ease of removal it may be helpful to work one section at a time. (hood, half the roof, trunklid, etc) If the paint feels "baby's butt smooth" go ahead and wax. If you feel a bit of "pebble" on it you can try a high quality paint cleaning clay. For clay use spray the area being cleaned with a surface lubricant like Meguiars #34 "Final Inspection" then rub the clay back and forth over the lubed area. Keep plenty of lube on the finish and turn/knead the clay periodically. The clay is great for cleaning things ON your paint. The polish and swirl removers clean things IN your paint. To protect your hard work you then apply either Meguiars #26 wax or you can also try the new Meguiars "gold class" wax for clearcoats. I have not had as much experience with the new wax but I have used it with good results thus far. Beware, it is for clearcoats only. Simply apply the wax with a cotton covered foam applicator then remove with 100% cotton terry. If you have completed the above steps you should have one helluva shine going. If the finish of your car didn't respond to the above steps you are in need of heavy duty refinishing. As always, if you drop a rag or applicator during ANY phase of this discard it immedately and replace with a clean one. I hope this helps out with the swirl and paint cleaning issue.

Lee