View Single Post
Old 08-31-2003, 07:18 PM

Car alarms - is the SL factory alarm enough?

Hi all,

I'm debating whether to put a commercial car tracker system into my 1993 SL500. This is the kind with a GPS unit controlled from a central office, allowing them to trace or stop the car at will.

Does anyone use these, or is the standard SL alarm system OK? And is it bulletproof?

My concern is that with the soft top up, this car would be an easy target for anyone with a knife. Or they could load the SL into a covered truck or trailer. Some scumbag did this to one of my motorbikes 10 years ago, right off the middle of a busy city street! Couldn't believe there were no witnesses, even with a taxi stand across the road.

So I'm right to be a little paranoid about it.

I suppose insurance would cover any loss. Then again, my SL is a beauty and I may not be able to replace her again with a similar model in such good order.

And there would be some delight in being able to recover the car with the culprits still inside!

However, when I think of the situations where I use the SL, it's pretty rare that it is left alone for any length of time, and it's always in a busy and populated area - never up a back alley out of sight.

And I'm waiting for the time when I can slip a car park attendant $10 to keep an eye on it while we're at the opera! Takes me back to the time when I was a teenager, some 40 years ago. This young kid was hanging suspiciously around a newish Rolls Royce parked on a city street. When I got too close he told me the owner had given him a pound ($US5 - a fortune in those days), to keep people away from it. The owner had been away for an hour... pretty good money.

PS. We actually don't go to the opera - way too highbrow but I do take in the odd flamenco guitar concert and sometimes an aging rock group revival who've been persuaded that New Zealand is financially viable. Think the Stones are coming next year.

Ken Silver
--------------
~1993 SL500, glistening blue-black on black leather, xenons.
~1991 Daimler, shiny grey on grey leather, best in country!
~1991 Miata MX5, sparkling BRG on tan leather, wife's (but my polishing)
~1992 Honda US s/wagon, black/grey
ex 350SL, 230E, 280E (and a lot of other makes not nearly as nice)