View Single Post
Old 05-03-1999, 01:33 PM
Lee Scheeler

Congratulations on your new "baby",
Your on the right track with the 4 steps you mentioned above. The only other thing I'd advise, and this is every bit as important, is that you use 100% cotton terrycloth rags. Burn test the edges to make sure you don't have any synthetics in the seams. I couldn't find any suitable towels/rags on the open market so I made mine. A good fabric store should be able to hook you up with A:100% cotton terry cloth, B: 100%cotton thread. If your S/O is domestically oriented (or you are!) you can make your own detailing towels that are worlds ahead of anything you can buy.

Bill Wood's reply to "3 problems with a 98 E320W" gave some very helpful tips on winshield/glass cleaning/care. It is copied below:

"As far as the windshield is concerned, here's what I would do:
1) Thoroughly clean the windshield with windshield stripping paste, Bon-Ami or toothpaste (paste not jel). You need something that is very mildly abrasive to remove the film that is there.

2) Next clean the windshield with rubbing alcohol or Windex. Always buff the windshield with a perfectly dry paper towel after cleaning it to prevent streaking.

3) Thoroughly clean your windshield wiper with Windex or alcohol. Clean your wiper each time you fuel your car to maintain it. You can just use a moist towel at the gas station.

4) For a final touch. Look for a product called "Vision Blade". And apply every 3 or 4 months.

5) Change your wiper blade each spring.

This process totally solved my smearing windshield on my E430.
Good luck.

------------------
'98 E430
MBCA-Peachtree"

That should take care of it, if there is anything further we can help you with feel free to ask.

Enjoy your new baby...Lee