View Single Post
Old 09-02-2003, 03:16 PM
New 190e Couple of questions

I've just picked up a 1991 190e 1.8 Manual in bright red with 80,000miles. Overall I am very happy with the car but there are a couple of things that are nagging me.

There are a couple of noises emenating from the engine / front exhaust.

The first noise is a rattle which appears at about 1500rpm and then again at around 3000. Seems to go away above about 50mph.
I've had a quick check of the hetshields and they all seem secure.

I'm thinking its either loose mountings somewhere or a rattling cat.
How would I tell which? How much should the engine move when grasped by the manifold and pulled?

There is another noise which could be related which I think may be coming from the timing chain when accelerating, how can I check the condition of the chain/tensioner?

The final thing is a rattle (can you see a pattern forming!) which seems to be coming from the window motor. I have taken the panel off the door and after taping various parts it seems to be coming from the motor/worm drive assembly(it goes away if i grasp the metal motor housing in my hand). I would like to take the motor out to see if there are loose gears etc inside the case. The thing is I think I would need to take the whole assembly out including the window lifter gears etc. Is this a straightforward job or would i need to re-seat the window glass etc after removal?

Any help would be much apprechiated!