View Single Post
Old 07-06-1999, 03:28 AM

In my personal experience orbital's don't always speed up the process. (except when de-swirling, but on a new E430 you shouldn't have that problem) They do make it MUCH easier on your shoulders/arms/back/etc when applying. Removal of applied product still is best done by hand in my experience. (If someone has mastered removal of product as efficiently as application with an orbital, let me know.) The Porter aka Meguiar's aka Griot's orbital is your best bet. Make sure the cotton pads are 100% cotton. (burn test an edge) I've seen many where the nap is cotton but the gridwork is synthetic. The elastic or velcro will obviously be synthetic, but the contact area of the pad should be 100% cotton. (on a fabric pad) Sacrificing one pad is cheaper than scaring much paint.

For most things I like a 100% cotton terry for a "quick once over" removal, followed up by a 100% cotton diaper to give it a perfect polish. The nap on the terry gets most of the applied product off the surface easily but isn't great for getting a perfect finishing touch. The diaper does not have enough grain or cutting power to get much off the surface but it is killer for getting the final remnants and leaving a brilliant shine.

Another worthy supplement to the manual and orbital cleaning methods is a good clay bar. It pulls stuff that is stuck on the paint off like you wouldn't believe. Rather than buff the snot out of an area trying to take down something stuck on the surface it simply pulls it off. In my experience, the Meguiar's Clay is too soft but their #34 Final Inspection makes the best spray lubricant. (with the possible exception of Slick Stuff) You just spray an area with SS or #34, rub the clay over lubed area until contaminents are gone, then buff the lubricant off. Your fingers (clean please to avoid rubbing dirt on surface) will tell you if it is perfectly clean...think baby's butt smooth. Then just wax over the freshly cleaned paint and you are good to go.

Enjoy the new E430. If you have any other questions with the E430 we are happy to help.

Lee