View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by NormanB

Do you have a procedure for that, plus any tips - I guess it must be similar for a 4 cyl 230 TE!

I'm sure the procedure would apply to all M102 engines. It almost takes less time to do than reading about it in the workshop manual.
1. Remove valve cover (and whatever else eg. air filter that is required to remove valve cover).
2. Remove 2 bolts that secure oil spray pipe and remove pipe.
3. Rocker arms are grouped in pairs for each cylinder. For each pair, rotate engine (at crankshaft pully in correct direction only) such that rockers are on the back of the cam lobes (ie. valve springs not compressed).
4. Remove bolts for that pair of rocker supports (camshaft bearing).
5. Carefully lift rockers with support/camshaft bearings taking care not to lose ball cups from top of valve stems. These should remain with their original valve.
6. Hydraulic lash compensators (lifters) are an easy press fit into (valve end) of rocker arm. Press these out of rocker arm with soft metal rod (brass or aluminium).
7. Fill reservoir on new lash compensators with engine oil and press into rocker arms taking care that discs that sit on top are re-installed correctly (ie. same way up as when removed).
8. Re-install rocker assembly taking care that ball cups are seated correctly on top of valve stems. Torque bolts as per manual (20Nm from memory)
9. Repeat for remaining pairs of rockers.
10. Re-install oil spray pipe and valve cover.

I'm sure it almost took less time to do than to type. The only comment I should make is that the hydraulic compensators can be noisy for two reasons. One is that they are worn out (as mine were). The second is that due to valve work (eg. regrind) or valve or valve seat wear they are out of their possible range of "adjustment". If this is the case, different thickness disks are available that fit on top of the lash compensators. The MB M102 shop manual outlines the procedure to measure for this situation. I did not consider this to be the problem in my case as the lifters were only intermittently noisy during warm-up. New lifters have solved the problem. The shop manual also describes the procedure for identifying which lifters are at fault (leaking down). I did not bother with this since at around $24 AUD each for OEM or $16 AUD each after-market, the lifters were inexpensive. For this reason I chose to replace all eight.

Hope this is helpful to you or any other M102 owners.

107.023: 350SLC, 3-speed auto, icon gold, parchment MBtex (sold 2012 after 29 years ownership).
107.026: 500SLC, 4-speed auto, thistle green, green velour.
124.090: 300TE, 4-speed auto, arctic white, cream-beige MBtex.
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.