View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 06:27 PM

Smile "Gluttons for Punishment" or "Smart Shoppers"?

The verdict is still out, but good thing or not we have just purchased another 'fixer upper'! Seems just yesterday my husband was lamenting, "When are we going to get a real car and stop doing car repairs?" I guess the successes with Belinda were a confidence builder, because now he's a keener again. And, best of all, HE picked this one out (I haven't even seen it yet) so I don't have to feel guilty for the time he spents doing repairs. :p

This was the ad:
"79 MERCEDES BENZ 300D, nds wrk, gd for pts, runs,
insured, new Michelin tires, metering, new master cyl,
injectors & glow plugs $500 obo. West Vancouver "

I guess he put in about $3000 worth of work in to it a couple of years ago, but recently it started to burn some oil (about a litre per fill up), and the power assist is gone on the brakes (probably vacuum related since the door locks don't work either). He did not want to put any more money in to repairs, and he didn't really need the car any more as his daughter left him hers when she moved to England. The car was originally from California, and he brought it up about 11yrs ago.

Despite the oil consumption, she doesn't seem to smoke too excessively (less than Belinda, apparently). No obvious oil bath/ leak, but the oil is going somewhere. There is about 220,000 miles on the car, though the odometer stopped at 185k. She has some rust, but nothing really bad. All in all, it seemed too good to pass up for $450C (about $300US?). The tires are probably worth that. Esp when she comes with three Mercedes 123 repair manuals!! She gets about 28mpg, which is about twice as good as Mary (the 280). If the repairs aren't too expensive, this should be pretty cheap transportation!

It might be interesting getting her home, considering the brakes and the fact that West Vancouver hangs off a cliff, but supposedly they DO work. Eventually.:p

Stay tuned for further questions! Any thoughts on the oil consumption?

Any ideas for names? She's silver with blue interior, if that helps.