View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 10:57 AM
'94 S500: only 793 sold!

It's been an interesting . . . .

and great learning experience. From what I read in the many ASR posts, there's certainly a lot of ways that it can act up!

Steve; re CC: No problem! If the ASR light was 'out', then everything worked perfectly including CC. And my ASR had never come on while driving, only after sitting a while. I do think it's a heat related problem in the ETA.

Mike: as a design EE for 41 years for a large aerospace company, that technique was (and is) used a valid diagnostic tool. Since we designed large (8" x11") pcbs with literally hundreds of ICs on board, it worked quite well when you could spray directly on the IC.

But in this case, trying to cool that large metal assy with a spray can would not work especially since it is mounted to block via intake manifold. Because of its large mass and thermal inertia, trying to dramatically change temperature of an internal component through the metal 'skin' is akin to changing the ocean temp with a glass of hot water. Of course, if the case can be disassembled (left and right side) while insitu, it would be a useful tool. If it could be 'bench-tested' with sides off, spraying would be a great tool! Tnx for the idea.

That was the original ETA so it's at least 9 years old. Since it is subject to tremendous engine heat, it makes sense that it would be a high failure prone part. I'm looking foward to disassembly the part to see how it's constructed.

Visit my Mercedes Web Page