View Single Post
Old 09-25-2003, 03:51 AM
"Unhinged Troll" - Jim B.

Here's another couple of things, I had a suspension valve replaced on my 6.9, the front level control valve. These typically go bad because they get cooked by the heat from the large engine over time. The list price for this valve is $720. MBI charged me $575 for the part (new MB) plus one hour to install and re-level the car.

Also today, for my 1994 E500, I had the driver's side driving light lens (glass) cracked by a stone. This is the small rectangular lamps that are set very low in the bumper just ahead of the front wheels, looking forward.

I went to the MB dealer and asked if they had it in stock. They did, and charged me $114 for the part. I then proceeded to go into MBI immediately after that (this was at 2:45 PM today) for something else. I casually told parts dept about just getting bent over by the dealer for this part. Parts manager said, just a minute, stay there. Goes over to the computer and enters the part number. Says "I can have it here by 4PM and it will be $95, so go return that part at the dealer tomorrow." Sure enough one hour later it was in my hands. Bosch part, exact same as the dealer part except for the MB box, and the MB star had been "filed off" the factory Bosch part.

That's service.

Actual costs for the part 003 826 35 90:

MB suggested retail: $105
MB wholesale: $84
MB dealer cost: $64

The friggin' dealer MARKED UP THE PART almost 10% OVER MSRP !!!! MBI sold it to me for halfway between their cost and retail.

Cheers,
Gerry