View Single Post
Old 09-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Nuke

Hello to all !!!

I've always liked the 80's Mercedes. So I started researching them. After reading about WVO, I just fell in love with the idea of a diesel. So I've started looking for a 83-85 300D.

I currently own a 97 Saturn SL2 and a 68 Ford Bronco. Right now I am doing body work on the Bronco. The MB will replace my Saturn as a DD. I am looking for something that is "luxurious," dependable, gets good gas milage, and has class.

I work on all my vehicles, including my two jetskis, but I'm not looking for another major project. From what I've read hear, I should be able to get a very good condition 83-85 300D for around $5k.

I am some what disappointed and the lack of resources on the Web. There are some great sites for Broncos. But then I found that there were only 75k or so 83-85 300d world wide (I think) compare to the 220k 66-77 Broncos made and the vast majority of them sold in the US.

Newbie Questions:

1) What should I look for when buying an 83-85 300D? I know about rust in the wheel wells and the rear bottom fendors. I usally like to check the compression. What pressure should I be looking for?

2) I have found some parts sites, but none are MB exlusive and they all seem to be OEM replacements, mostly just engine and electrical. For my Bronco, I find many sites that make custom parts at good prices. Just as an example, I can't find a place the sells new leather seat covers or any of the interior trim pieces. Can some one point me to some sites?

3) I test drove a 300 SD today. I mistakenly read the ad for it. Although I'm leaning toward the 300D, I had not ruled out the SD. The SD jerked when shifting. The owner said he had it looked at and was told it wasn't fixable. Is this so and is this same problem present in the 300D?

4) I have found some, but can some one give me some good WVO links?

Thanx for reading my long post!!