View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 11:38 AM

Sixto,

I don't have any trouble with the drain plug being on the back of the oil pan on my 617s. I try to change the oil very close to a multiple of the 10,000 mile mark and that seems to happen when I am away from home. Therefore the oil has been changed more times on the road in parking lots than in the grease pit in my garage. Its been changed in WA, KY, TX, AZ (2X), LA, Canada and a few more I can't remember.

I don't even jack up the car because I can reach the drain plug easily and let it drain overnight into a 2 gallon plastic container with a hole cut in one side that I had the foresight to take along. I also loosen the bottom oil cooler connection and take the top off the oil filter. Then, the next morning I replace the drain plug, tighten the oil cooler fitting, replace the oil filter and fill it with Mobil 1. QED.

If you think the oil plug is a bad design on a 617, you should try the oil filter on a 240D. Its impossible to get the external can off because there is not enough room between the engine and the frame. The can has to be turned upside down, spilling the oil out, to R&R the filter cartridges. Its a royal PITA. I love the top side oil filter on the 617 engines, although I might not like it as much if I ever have to remove the injection pump.

P E H