View Single Post
Old 10-05-2003, 12:00 PM

The problem with the US spec lamps is the law requiring them. In 1950, the "new" sealed beam lamps were far superior to the typical US manufacture headlamps (separate bulb/reflector) design. Also, don't forget our lovely corrupt political system -- I assume GE or Sylvania spent quite a bit of $$ to get this legislation passed..... The "sealed beam" lamps permitted much better filament alignment than separate bulbs did at the time (sloppy manufacture, the Europeans didn't have this problem....), and made it possible to properly align the lamps for low glare and good visibility with only a simple tool and a screwdriver.

The problem was that no "or better" performance language was put into the law, so until it was changed a few years ago due to growing pressure to get better headlights on cars, we were stuck with a now inferior system. I remember the discussions about this in the 60's and 70's when european makers switched to halogen lamps in separate reflectors. The las was applied blindly in spite of the fact that the new halogens were higher performance and just as easily aligned.

Thank heavens that has changed! How if they would just outlaw those stupid HID lamps that make my corneas fluoresce, we would be in good shape...... Talk about glare!

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!