View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Marshall Booth

I agree that 10W30 Mobil 1 is just fine and so is Mobil 1 ATF! Both (in my opinion) are actually superior to type A (I have compared them directly with type A in the same transmission). You must NOT use any gear oil with EP additives (most manual transmission oils DO contain EP additives) as these will cause errosion of the synchronizers and most gear designed for manual transmissions oils are too thick for an MB box. There is NO incomaptibilty between the seals in Dexron II/III ATF and the seals in an MB manual transmission (at least throught the 716/717 series), but it is very stiff in cold weather. Mobil 1 10W30 will reduced seal leakage and I believe Mobil 1 ATF will as well.

Here's some more from Eric on 236.2 oil:

Quote:
Technical Data Sheet for
236.2 oil - supplied by Elf Oil Co. of France.

Elf Trans-O-Matic - Mercedes-Benz 236.2/236.5 and Voith DIWA transmissions
502-2/502-3 specification.

TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Relative Density @ 15.6C 0.879
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40C 36.5 mm2/s
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100C 7.1 mm2/s
Viscosity Index 160
Pour point -40C
Flash point 200C

"Applications: automatic transmissions, torque converters, power steering systems, manual gearboxes and other applications for which a fluid Type A Suffix A or Mercedes-Benz 236.2/236.5 is specified."

--------------------------------------------------

Basically, M-B 236.2 is an old-style auto transmission fluid without the friction modifiers found in Dexron II/III. I tried Castrol Dexron III in my 190E five-speed, but in the winter, with a cold 'box, I got some 'snagging' when changing up 1-2 and 2-3. I had a discussion with Castrol technical dept. over this and they said its not so much the viscosity of the oil that is important, but the friction modifiers. Basically, D-III is a bit too 'slippery' for the syncro's on the MB manual 'box and so they take longer to lock up than was the designer's intention. They advised using either Castrol TQ Type A Suffix A or Elf. Since I changed to the Elf fluid the cold change
quality is better. No damage will be done to the 'box by using D-III since the D-III specification takes in the Type A Suffix A fluid and it is an
alternative specified by Mercedes-Benz - but the 'box won't function quite as the designerintended. The D-III probably has better anti-wear properties than 236.2, but then again your're catching the synchro dogs every now and then so maybe it evens out?
Marshall