View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 05:22 PM
yorktown5

Deiseldog was kidding about the aircraft fuel...I think (grin), I actually asked recently and was told the stuff was just too likely to scorch the engine's innards and not recommended. Don't know for sure the truth of that, but why chance it, otherwise I'm glad my advice has supporters. Of course I'm not recommending exeeding speed limits (yah right), but after adjusting the linkage for the new tranny by trial and error, I left the shift points higher than typical. On easy acceleration the 2-3 shift happens at about 35mph and the 3-4 at about 55. Being more aggressive raises those by another 10mph. The effect is running at higher RPMs around town. Hurts city mileage some, but the car likes it. And since it is annoying to still be in third when cruising along at 50 or so, all I have to do is feather off the pedal around 45 and she'll kick up into 4th nicely.

No real surprise when you think about it, but the harder I drive it and the longer the haul, the less oil it uses too. It's only when stop and go city driving and short hauling that consumption goes up to a quart every 1000-1500 miles which seems typical/expected of this engine.

So David, take the fuel filter advice, then kick the tires and light the fires.