View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 04:36 PM

Well... I did it! Gonna see what happens.

I switched to Mobil 1- 0w/40w FULLY SYNTHETIC! I have been using Shell Rotella- 15w/40w but the 240D goes through Rotella faster than you can say "scat". I use Rotella T in my 81 VW Rabbit Diesel with fantastic results!

I am almost positive that my oil consumption will INCREASE! I figure I am on my way to a rebuild anyway so I decided to go ahead and clean out the internals .

I was just wondering. I have seen several mentions in some previous posts that Texaco Ursa didn't seem to burn as quickly in some engines as other oils (synthetic or dino) did. The PO of my 240D used Texaco Ursa in the engine before I purchased the car (I assume he did because there was an empty Ursa gallon container in the trunk). He told me that he changed the oil religiously.

After driving the car several days (@ 400 miles) I checked the oil and it was at the low mark on the dipstick so I topped it off with Shell Rotella T 15w/40w and never even considered Ursa. Honestly, I didn't pay any attention to the gallon container in the trunk until after my first oil change with the car. This car burns at least 3/4 of a quart per tank of diesel.

In light of the fact that some have noticed significantly less oil consumption using Ursa, would it be wise to revert back to Ursa since the car has been on Ursa for several years?

I am so sorry to bring up anything related to oil

Thanks,
Oilslick- oops! I did it again!