View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 10:59 AM

Here is the latest update. Got all the parts and actually bought a Weber Haynes shop manual that covered this particular carb pretty well. That manual was the best $20.00 I ever spent. After reading up on general carb theory, I went to the rebuild section of this particular carb. The book did a really good job of labeling and numbering the parts, with lots of pictures and diagrams showing each step of the process. I was able to tear it down and clean it pretty easily. I'm glad I did, because while the fuel path seemed fairly clean (lots of crud in the float bowl, though), the water choke housing inside was pretty well choked up with crap. The prior owner must have been running 100% water, it's so bad. I was able to clean it out (lots of scraping and rinsing and rubbing). I've got a new one on order "just in case". The only things I've had to order separately from the rebuild kit are a new float and the choke gasket. You would think that those items would be included. Oh, well. In hindsight, maybe I should have specified a true REBUILD kit instead of a TUNE-UP kit. But Allstate Carb in Long Island, NY (www.allcarb.com) has been a great parts supplier that I highly recommend.

Next step is bench re-assembly and initial settings. Keeping my fingers crossed. It's still going to be a few weeks until I get my other car (I need a more practical daily driver) and I can start working on the carb swap. But so far, so good. I'm very impressed with the quality (and simplicity) of the Weber carb, though.

Catrinus
73 280C