View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 06:09 AM

'Italian tune'(injector cleaner & long hard run)

I suggest an 'Italian tune'(injector cleaner & long hard run) before doing anything else..........a good clean of the fuel system might solve a lot of problems...........did you check the injector spray pattern when you replaced their O-rings & sleeves?

I recently got a 1978 280CE going after being unused for 5yrs Original post ......... the key to get it running was flushing the fuel injector system with injector cleaner (see post 25Aug2003).............I would certainly advise this before pulling anything apart or or taking the replacement route..........I used injector cleaner at ~ 100 times normal concentration first......full bottle in near empty tank.........expect short filter life

I have just pulled my fuel tank and couldn't believe the crud...........amazing it ran at all...........if your car has been garaged for a while you should consider cleaning the tank - the strainer screeen in the tank in particular.....as it is best to start here and work downstream......filter etc.

My cold start injector checked ok, but my injectors needed flushing

I also found a vacuum leak that caused loss of vacuum advance and lean running.....perished rubber connection the EGR valve

You probably have a fuel acumulator near the pump & filter.........mine needed replacing after 25yrs.......maintains fuel pressure for restart...........fuel pressure gauge should help to diagnose

Link to my 'Italian Tune......should have pulled & cleaned tank first"