View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nibiru

.........But>>>>.......... when I hooked up a 4.5 volt connect I put the + to the non resistor and the neg to the resistor and it lit up - so I though it was the way - due to LED's are completely polorized - so if the power travels the wrong way they dont light up

That's right, they are rated to 5v, so 4.5 volts would probalby light one without burning it up.

Quote:

I agree with you on the RADIO SHack- they dont have great LED's- I hear their best one have to be ordered on line or from catalog ( You can do this at the store and pay 2.50$ to ship directly to you)

I ordered a bunch or LED's for dash and fixtures because over the years I cant tell you how many 2721 bulbs I have had to replace. P I T A to pull a dash 2-3 times a year

Wait!!! Found just the thing at a local electronics surplus store today. They have all the colors, but Blue and white are really expensive (like $4-5/each).

The brightest ones they have are $0.30/each, are clear, and light up VERY bright red.

Soldered these in this eve. Here's pics without the switch covers (both LED's lit);

Top LED is the new one, bottom is the stock (picture doesn't do it justice, it is a LOT brighter than the stock one!):

Here's a pic with both covers on and LED's lit up with a little ambient light to see what's going on (new led on top, stock on the bottom again, both are lit):

Here's another pic of the same but in total darkness (notice how the stock light is barely visible):

Here's my test setup with both LED's lit:

Quote:

Even ordered these really cool 12 V wedge but I have to return them cause polarity is on same side- must be for other than automotive

i am wondering if I can just wire 12 V LED's in place of these little 2.75mm LED ( Mercedes choice ) and do away with resistor. probably had to do thaht way when in the early 80's LED were so new no one saw a reason to have 12 V LED's
Well..., it also looks like the 12v ones only come in a housing (where they pot-in the resistor) so they just won't work for the other instruments (unless RS or someone else has one that doesn't have a housing and resistor built in? Thought I'd seen those, but couldn't find anything like that today).

I tried running an in-line resistor and wiring up some LED's for the climate control unit, but they just aren't bright enough to even see in there. Ended up griding down the edges of #37 bulbs so they'd fit the stock plugs. They usually last a LOT longer than the German bulbs.

Anyway, will ponder how to mount LED's for the other lights and LYK what I come up with.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol