View Single Post
Old 10-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Just a guy

I find that to overcome time restrictions, you just need to think ahead. I plan menus going out a couple weeks, and then shop for those. For things that need very fresh ingredients, I make a time-sensitive list so I know when to shop again.

To replace frozen micro-wave dinner-in-a-box, I pre cook a stock-pot full of chili, pasta sauce, etc. and freeze meal sized portions. Those meals can be made in minute, just like the crappy stuff from the store.

For most meals, I make enough for two meals, and then have leftovers either the very next night (some stuff is better the next day anyway) or if it'll keep an extra day, the day after.

My daughter loves to go to Burger King. On Friday's after play-school, some of the parents take their kids there for further playing and parent-social-time. I brown-bag our food, as I won't let either of us eat that garbage. At first, people thought I was nuts. They might kick us out? Well, just to ease my guilt, I buy her a milk and myself a diet Coke. But no greasy junk food.

With some practice, even a non-chef like myself can provide easy, nutricious (sp? methinks me lost language ability) home cooked meals. And guess what? It's not any more expensive than fast food, and often cheaper when you buy right. We're fortunate in that we have a chest freezer. Despite the electricity consumption, it saves us lots of dough (punny) on the grocery bill.

http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4050/tophat6.gif