View Single Post
Old 10-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by blackmercedes
Does the US military really discriminate on the basis of sexual preference? They don't take talented people simply because they're gay? What idiots.

I'm not sure how this case is any different than any prospective employee suing an employer becasue they were discriminated against based on anything other than merit. The military came to Yale and stirred the pot. I figure if you stick your head in the beehive and knowingly anger the bees, you get what you deserve.
Yes, the military discriminates based on sexuality. Men and men, men and women, and women and women are discouraged from having their amorous inclinations expressed. The peculiar problem with the military is that they have a rather bizarre mission, not equivalent to civilian jobs. Because of that, they have all kinds of customs, ceremonies, behaviors, goals, missions, and relationships that would vary from peculiar to dangerous in a civilian environment.

When I was in the US Navy nearly forty years ago, there were homosexual sailors. They were no better nor worse for their orientation. So long as they kept their preferences to themselves there were no problems. I imagine its still like that today. Probably today's military is more tolerant than in my day.
I'll bet that within a few years the whole gay thing will blow over (so to speak).

The problem with those Yale professors is that tehy want to take gov money but not conform to gov expectations. As a taxpayer, I resent that: If you want my money, play by the rules. They are just using the sex thing as a tool--their aim is to take the money but not allow the recruiting. This has been going-on in America's elite universities since Vietnam. I wish the gov would shut-off the spigot and go where they're appreciated.