View Single Post
Old 10-28-2003, 10:50 PM
300E - ABS light stays on intermittently

The ABS light has started to stay on intermittently on my '86 300E after I start it. There doesn't seem to be any particular scenario where it happens more often, i.e. hot or cold engine, etc. If I turn the switch off and restart it immediately, it goes out. This has probably happened about 10-12 times over the last couple of months, so it's not a real problem or anything. Every now and then when the road is wet and slippery, I try out the ABS and it's never failed to work for me, although I haven't had the chance to actually try it when the light is on. I'm just wondering what might be causing it to come on. I seem to remember reading something about how the OVP relay could cause this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is there any way to accurately test an OVP relay, or if it's suspect should I just replace it? (I think it's probably the original one). I've cleaned the pins and the socket with DeOxit 5% ( ), but it hasn't really made any difference. The 10A fuse on top is good.