View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 11:45 AM

Help! - R129 soft top not folding correctly

What timing!

Just went to put on the hard top for the winter. Surprise, the soft top is not folding correctly, and will not go into its compartment without help. As far as I can tell, the problem is that the fold that is closest to the head rail is folding inwards rather than outwards. It might be simply that the mechanism is not pushing it all back into the compartment hard enough. I have never had any roof problems before, and have not paid attention to how it is supposed to work.

I am attaching a series of pictures to show what is happening. (Hopefully the file names appear with the pictures.) As I can't see how to attach more than one file, I will put some in replies.

Roof1 shows the problem. The mechanism has finished folding everything at this point, and the cover wants to close. However, there is a fold of roof still on the roll bar. I don't know whether this is a fold that has gone the wrong way, or the mechanism not pushing the top hard enough to get it in.

Roof3 and Roof4 just show earlier stages of the same folding process.

Roof 5 shows that if I push (by hand) the topmost fold outwards rather than letting it fold inwards, it is possible to do so. Everything then fits into the compatment. However, I don't know whether that fold is supposed to go inwards or outwards. If outwards, I have no idea what would push it outwards. I can see no part of the mechanism that would do so.

Roof6 is just a closeup of part of the mechanism. Don't know whether it is relevant.

Over the last week, during which I have had the top up all the time, I noticed a new small rattle behind my left ear while driving, but was not able to locate it. I can't see anything loose or disconnected.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to put on the hard top before fixing this.

Momo
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - R129 soft top not folding correctly-roof1.jpg