View Single Post
Old 11-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Derrel H Green

Dead Wrong!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcyuhn
The diesels weren't sold new in California, [as] they couldn't meet the CARB emissions regulations. That's why there are so few in otherwise MB-infested So Cal. Interestingly, there seems to be an active market importing used examples. When I sold my 1998 this past spring, it moved half way across the country to the bay area.

I gave up after 5+ years and 55K miles. I had very few problems with the 210 chassis stuff, it was all the engine and drivetrain. The final straw was when a burnt out glowplug broke off in the head while being removed. The car spent three weeks in the shop while a very good mechanic teased the remnants of the plug out using dental tools. Including that little incident, my car spent 11 weeks in the shop for repair (as opposed to scheduled maintenance) during 5 years of ownership. As much as I like the E300 turbo, I sold it.

On the plus side, it retained it's value very well, and the overall cost of ownership was quite reasonable. I purchased an exceptionally clean 1993 300E with about half the proceeds and invested the rest into a rising market. Everything works out in the end.

- JimY

Whoever put that misinformation to you was wrong!

I bought a new 1999 at the end of August, 1998 in So Cal from Calabasas Motorcars. Only kept it for two and one half weeks and returned it because it did not have a lock-up torque converter. Found out later that although the dealer swore up and down that these cars do have lock-up T/Cs, they in fact do not!

I bought the one I now have used from FJMB in Newport Beach CA. It was originally sold in November, 1998 from House of Imports in Buena Park CA. As you may or may not know, these cars were not shipped to N A after MY 1999 at all. There were less than 7K of them with these engines sent here for the two MYs. Don't let anyone tell you that the diesels were not available new from authorized MBZ dealers here in California. And yes, mine does have a California certified sticker from the factory, and it does indeed meet all applicable federal as well as California state emission requirements.

It is my understanding that beginning with the MY 2000, this motor could not and did not muster up to even the Federal requirements, and therefore was not longer offered stateside or in Canada.

We see something of this nature happening now in MY 2004 in California and those other four N E states that copy the CARB lead with VWs' PD diesel. It is not offered here or in those states because it does not pass our overly strict emission requirements!

What a shame!

Interesting you should mention the prices asked for W-210 E-300 DTs here in California. Most of the time, the Los Angeles Times will have none listed for sale at all! However there are two available here this weekend. One in Torrance is listed for almost $33K; The other in Buena Park at House of Imports is a mere $36,900 only!