View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 10:28 AM
She felt loose!!!???

I have not used this car, 1988 190e 2.3L, on the highway for about a year now. Just took her out on the highway (what we call the highway here at least in Guatemala - a two lane road) this past weekend and the car felt loose? Or at least felt that it was all over the place at 70 miles per hour (112 km per hour).

Last Thursday I had 4 new tires installed, Pirelli P6000 (195/60's)and had al 4 wheel alignment done also. The alignment looked good to me at least since I stayed and watched the tech work and verified that all values were within the green.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or is that I since I have not driven the car at that speed for over a year that I just do not remember. But I can tell you one thing, it just did not feel safe driving at that speed in this car. At least in my wife's car, a 2001 civic sedan, I can drive at 90 mph and the car does not feel like it is all over the place?

Also, the RPMs where at 3500 at a speed between 70 mph - 80 mph with the A/C on. Is this normal for the engine - just asking to verify.

Lastly, the millage that I got on this trip was about 23 mpg (37 km per gallon) with the A/C on and up and down mountains along with heavy foot while passing trucks and buses. Is this a good average? I ask since I have read on some other posts that poor mileage could be sings of other problems.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

2006 - Suzuki Gran Vitara (2.0 L fully equipped) Like this car so far except for trying to put on the seatbelt.
1988 - 190e - 2.3L - 172K miles (It now belongs to the exwife)
1999 - Chevy Blazer LS Fully Equiped - killed it June 2006
2001 - Honda Civic EX - 68K miles (sold June 2004)
1963 - 220S - Dual Carb 6 cyl. (sold)
1994 - Yamaha WaveRaider (fun to ride)