View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Wheel Sensor Output for Rally Computer

Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm not getting any response to this on the Performance Paddock forum. Please see my original posting below:

Howdy, folks. I'm trying to install a rally computer in my 1997 C36 AMG and am hoping someone can help me. Essentially, the rally computer is a hyper-accurate odometer that uses a pulse from a distance sensor to tell you precisely how far you've gone and what your average speed was over some selected elapsed time and/or distance. Typically, the distance sensor consists of a Hall-effect sensor mounted near a rotating part of the drivetrain on which rare-earth magnets are mounted. Whenever a magnet comes by the sensor, it triggers a pulse and lets the computer know that a revolution (or fraction therof) has been completed. Putting the computer into calibration mode then running a known distance, the computer determines a "factor" for how many pulses make up the known distance.

I've installed a computer on our rally car (1984 190E 2.3/5 speed) using this method, but I'd rather not epoxy any magnets to my AMG wheels nor drill any holes in my firewall. I know that the ABS system uses sensors on each wheel, and was hoping to piggyback an input to the computer from somewhere inside the passenger compartment. Suggestions, anyone?
Rob Fini
Silverphile Bleifuss Motorsports
'07 E350T 4MATIC, 122k miles
'99 E320 4MATIC, 248k miles
'97 C36AMG, 226k miles (gave to son)
'94 E320T, 217k miles
'94 E320T, 251k miles (RIP)
'92 Coachmen Van Camper, 142k miles
'84 300TDt 336k miles (RIP)
'84 190E-2.3/5spd (Stage Rally Racer)
'66 230 W110 Sedan (Barn Find, Future Vintage Racer)
'64 Plymouth Valiant V200 Convertible