View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 12:13 PM

Unhappy Start laughing now...

Greetings, everyone. I have a friend who thinks the best way to make a first impression with strangers is to make a fool of himself so that he will be remembered. What does that have to do with this forum? I'm getting to that...

I bought my first Mercedes on Sunday: a '92 SL500 . It is a low-mileage (36k) car that came from someone I know and was very well cared for. I have been driving it to and from work this week (about 20 miles each way) and have enjoyed learning little things like how the environmental controls work, and what kind of driving experience I've been missing out on all these years.

My first (albeit minor) technical issue popped up last night. As I was stopping at the end of my driveway to grab the mail, I squirted some wiper fluid onto the windshield to clear away a little bit of grime. A few seconds later, after the windshield wipers were done with their 2 or 3 swipes, I noticed this misty spray visible in front of the headlights. I got out to look and sure enough: the headlight sprayers were stuck ON. I got back in, hit the sprayer lever a couple times... no change. I turned the lights off... the spray stopped. Lights back on... headlight spray resumed momentarily until the reservoir was emptied. After fiddling with the sprayer and wipers for a while (from inside the car) I was able to get the sprayer to quit dry-running when the lights were on.

So, I figured I would refill the reservoir and have my local MB technician take a look at the sprayer on Friday (tomorrow) when I bring it in for some repair work. I popped the hood-release lever in the cab, walk around to the front of the car, feel under the hood, and ... I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE DAMN HOOD OPEN!!!

As soon as you all pick yourselves up off of the floor, I could use a little help here. I'm not what you would call mechanically inclined, but this is ridiculous

Thanks,

- Tony

'92 SL500 (36k miles, white, finger-prints on hood)