View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Unbanned...?

With mileage that high, anything over $10k is too much, unless it has a NEW cylinder head AND is near showroom condition with absolutely NOTHING wrong, anywhere on the car. Oh, and have all records since new, too. You will almost never find those "perfect" cars at dealerships. They usually get auciton cars and detail them to look really nice, but mechanically it could be problematic. If it's really nice, something around $7-$9k would be more reasonable. I'd also check CarFax closely. I've found numerous "Florida" cars (or otherwise south/west cars) that spent their first 10-15 years in the Rust Belt, then magically migrated south/west and became "rust free" on some dealer's lot. Yeah.... right. Be careful out there.

BTW - the expensive problem with the 86/87 six cylinder diesels is the cylinder head. A car with a new head is definitely worth more, IMO. The new heads are stronger and don't crack like the originals. It was the 1990-95 3.5L engines used in the S-class that had problems with the connecting rods, which then ovals out the cylinders, requiring a new bottom end. Totally different problem...

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!