View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 12:07 AM

Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to read the previous threads and to reply here. For us amateurs it is always reassuring when a tech can inform us that he has struck the same problem and advise the correct fix. Obviously due to the rarity of manual transmission Benzes, knowledge of the answer to such an obscure fault is hard to find.

Since I plan to give the 190E an oil and filter change this weekend, in addition to a coolant flush and change (now that I have eliminated all the minor coolant leaks). It is probably also time it had a brake fluid flush and change as well suggesting now as a good time to investigate the clutch hydraulics.

I will take your advice and again check the clutch wear with the tool and advise of my findings (ie. whether or not the notches on the tool are visible). Depending upon the outcome of this check, I will pursue the possibility of a problem with the clutch master cylinder. By attempting to reverse pressure bleed the clutch hydraulics I will hopefully get a better idea of the state of the hydraulic system. At the same time I will also bleed and replace all the brake fluid.

If all seems well with everything cold, I will then take the car for a drive to get everything hot before the oil change. By driving for long enough (they are forecasting a hot day Saturday), I should be able to get the clutch slip to occur. I will again check for clutch wear and whether all still seems well with the hydraulics, including whether any pressure remains in the clutch hydraulics without the pedal depressed (which would suggest an obstruction to the fluid returning to the reservoir).

I will carefully make a note of everything and post my findings here. Thanks again for your help.

Greg
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.