View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 11:20 PM

You tend to get creative when you are stranded on the side of the road in 4F weather!

I figured it had to be fuel related from the smoke, and I knew enough about the FI by then to take a look.

The blowby hose had been disconnected when I got the car, I surmise this is why. I hooked it back up (but not the EGR or the coast idle bypass -- the EGR cooler was rusted out and the bypass stuck open -- 2000 rpm with your foot off the gas is kinda scary....)

I managed to get 135,000 miles out of that car before the floor pan rusted out, along with everything else. Great car to drive, but I've not seen one for at least 15 years now. Fenders rusted out from the inside, the frame had holes in it big enough to put your hand through, and the tailgate wouldn't latch because the frame had rusted so much it flexed away from the door when you closed it. Interior, engine, and tranny were in nearly perfect shape. Sad. I liked it MUCH better than the Dodge Aries I replaced it with.

Your running problem sure sounds like a progressivly plugging fuel filter. If a new filter fixes it, you should consider getting the tank cleaned, it may have lots of crud or rust in it. If a new filter doesn't fix the problem, you need to check the tank screen, especially if the problem is worse when the fuel level in the tank is low!

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!