View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Certified diesel nut

Quote:
Originally posted by SP0CK
One nation under God, that is most definitely the God of Isaac and Abraham and NOT buhhda, the dude that created the koran, ghandi or any other of those characters.
Actually, I think that it could be successfully argued that Islam has the same relationship with Christianity that Judaism does i.e. all three are factions of the same belief. Fundamentalist extremists in the MIddle East aside (there are, of course, fundamentalist extremists in all 3 factions, but we haven't seen an extremist Christian in a position of power in a long time, and Jewish people haven't really had enough power to get an extremist in power), they share similar values, have a basically similar belief structure, and Islam even recognizes Jesus as a prophet. Just because they call their god Allah doesn't mean that it's not the same god that Jewish and Christian people are worshipping; just that they call him by a different name and worship him in slightly different ways.

Quote:
Leave the religous practicing at home, fine.
Sounds like a great idea to me! Your belief is your belief; no one has the right to take that away from you. However, in my very strong opinion, you don't have the right to push it on others either. IMHO religion is like sexual preferences; perfectly fine to do what you wish, but keep it behind closed doors (either of your home or your church).

Quote:
No infaCT, better yet, let's remove God from everything including the money
Also sounds like a good idea to me...the phrase "In God We Trust" wasn't added to currency (or, for that matter, to the Pledge of Allegiance) until the 1950's in an attempt to smoke out communists. I think it's funny when people try to say that having that phrase in there is absolutely necessary to keep this nation intact; it did fine for 175 years without that on the money. I also find it amusing when people try to say that our national motto is "In God We Trust"; last I checked, it was "E Plurbius Unum".

*flame suit on*