View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 07:16 PM

I've been through that area quite a bit, it seems like a nice area, and seems fairly cool in that region during the hot months.

I don't think I'd sweat knowing French, it does after all border with Ontario, not Quebec, you'll be fine without that I would think.

On the SEL in the winter, well, I've driven them in Wisconsin during some crappy weather, better have a decent pair of snows, if not a set. I'd recommend Blizzaks, and then remember to only keep them on as long as neccesary. Anything over 40 or 50 degrees and the multi-cell really rubs off, and when the multi-cell is gone, they're not any better than any other snow tire. For weight in the trunk. many things will work. SAND is OK, and you can use it to get yourself out of a real slick spot, like glare ice. If you don't use it, then you have to store it someplace during the summer. Most folks around here use water softener salt, because you can always use that, assuming you have a water softener. You just want to be careful to get bags in good shape and all that, don't need extra salt in the trunk. 126's seem to hold up pretty good up here in the rust belt if properly cared for.

Alternatively, front wheel drive vehicles are very good in the snow with a decent set of all-weather tires, should be able to find something fairly cheap. I recommend most any front-wheel drive GM car, especially with the 3800 V6. I've owned a series of these and very seldom have any problem in the winter. Mid-90's GM stuff like a Regal, Electra, LeSabre or the like, very dependable winter transport.

Gilly