View Single Post
Old 12-10-2000, 09:48 PM
troydewan

Hi,

I own a modified 1995 C280 as evidenced by my signature below. Anyhow, I originally installed a MaxSpeed Muffler back in February and later removed the catalytic converter assuming its the one that comes after the center resonator/muffler and right before the rear muffler. I did notice the car was faster and torquier after installing the rear MaxSpeed muffler and pulled harder on the freeway. After removing the cat(and using a straight staineles steel pipe), I noticed the car had a more defined torque curve from 40-60 and pulled harder all the way through the range. Actually, the car was faster all the way around and mashing down the throttle at and hitting the kickdown button produced a loud, obnoxious revving sound. I've liked the speeda and power of these mods, but I've grown tired of the annoying loud noise of the car without a cat. converter. The noise is so lound it penetrates inside the cabin and the can resonate with materials inside the door - also rear passenger have trouble hearing on the highway.

Well, my question is, should I put the stock cat. back in or should I switch to an aftermarket cat like one from Summit Racing (which is an American brand- but I figured could made to work)? I guess what I'm asking is like the speed and power of my current exhaust, especially since I gutted the cat. converter, but I think it sounds too loud and to "bassy" for any Mercedes even a 1995 C280. What should I do about the whole exhaust set-up.

By the way, I need a new emission sticker (so I probably need a cat)but want to mainteen the increased acceleration of the car without too much noise.

Thanks for your input

Troy