View Single Post
Old 11-16-2003, 11:14 PM

I have to inquire about the unreliable gun you were using. Was it malfunctioning or was it not hitting the pigeons? If it was choked too tight, say improved or improved-modified then you would have to be dead-nuts on with your lead. The pattern will hold so tight that there is no fudge room, while a modified, or better still cylindre bore, will open up a lot and give you a better hit probability. Remember it only takes a pellet or two to bust a clust (but takes the majority to dust one).

I'm partial to pumps and auto-loaders, especially if doing double duty sport and field. You might be happy with a simply Remington 1100 or 11-87 in 12 ga. Pushing #8's or #9's down the bore will impart very little recoil to your shoulder as the gas ports will bleed off a lot of kick to cycle the gun. Similarly any Browning auto-loader would be fine as well.

I don't like the Bennelli nor Beretta (but they do have some nice looking ones). Bennellis will bruise your checkbone, especially if you decide to play with slugs. Also with the Bennelli, at least for me, I can feel the rotary bolt and get distracted by it during rapid fire, I actuallt see the barrel working in circles following the rotation of the bolt.

You should be able to get into a good auto-loader for about $500, maybe less.

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI...at least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.