View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 07:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the interest in this problem.

Dave,
Yes the fluid was dirty but I have flushed everything and am getting clean fluid when I bleed it now. This is not to say that there is still not a problem, which there obviously is. There are no "return" lines as such. The one line between the reservoir and master cylinder and the one line between the master cylinder and slave cylinder are the only lines in the system.

George,
I agree. The only problem is that once I have gone to the trouble of doing all that is necessary to open a line at the master cylinder I might as well continue with the job and completely remove the master cylinder. The master cylinder resides in the area of the pedals and precautions must be taken to prevent fluid spilling inside the car. Access is also confined.

Chuck,
Yes, I am aware of hydraulic hoses "closing down" and restricting the flow of fluid. This is a common problem with brakes. With my clutch, most of the line between the master and slave cylinders is metal with only a short length at the slave end being flexible. The supply line between the reservoir and master is a flexible hose but this is OK as I can draw fresh fluid from the reservoir. I can understand you never noticing any change in the behaviour of the clutch in your 124. If mine did not have a fault it would not exhibit any change either. I don't consider there to be a problem with the clutch plate since there is no slip cold, nor hot IF the pressure is released from the hydraulics. It is only when pressure builds up with temperature that any slip occurs. Warning of this comes with the clutch release point getting higher in the pedal travel. With that pressure released the clutch works fine and the release point is midway in the pedal travel.

I will post my findings when I explore the problem further. As far as replacing parts, I would prefer to start with the less expensive and more easily replaced items such as the hydraulics, especially considering this is the suspect area at this stage. To remove the transmission and replace the clutch and possibly the flywheel only to find they are not at fault would be a costly waste of effort.

Thanks again for all the interest,
Greg
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.