View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 AM

Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to consider this and for involving other techs like Gilly. Wisconsin may be small (do I detect that you may be trying to stir Gilly?) but I have indeed heard of it! Despite never having had the pleasure of visiting the USA, like most Aussies I still hear much of your country. Whilst Australia is similar in area to the USA, we have a much smaller population. As such, much of what we watch on TV and read originates in the US. Kids here would probably be able to list a larger percentage of your large number of states (and cities) than kids there would be able to list of our small number of states and cities. Anyway, I digress.

It may be a couple of weeks before I can explore the problem further as I have other things requiring my attention (including my father's M104 water pump).

One interesting point to add is that I mentioned the problem to a friend who works as a tech for a BMW dealership. He stated that the same problem has occured with some BMW clutches. Obviously with more manual transmission BMWs around the problem is more well known in those circles. Another person I mentioned it to who spends considerable time working on cars stated he struck a similar fault on a locally produced GM Holden Commodore. In that instance the long spring within the master cylinder had broken. This prevented the piston completely returning which in that situation resulted in reduced piston stroke with a resulting dragging clutch. Unfortunately in that situation, unnecessary expense was incurred in the unnecessary replacement of the clutch before the real fault was found.

With all the evidence available to me at this point I really believe my master cylinder to be the culprit. It really comes down to whether I simply purchase a new one and replace it, or remove mine and dismantle it first in search of an explanation for the cause of the problem.

I would be very receptive to any similar experience others may have had or to any TSBs relevant to the problem. Again, thank you for all the constructive input everyone has contributed. We will get to the cause of this and solve it. I will keep you posted.

Greg
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.