View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
i thought communists liked welfare?
...I take the Libertarian line on Corporate welfare. Let private commercial entities sink or swim based on the merits of their products, services and general business acumen.
Quote:
as the head of my own little corporation that is within the city limits of a large metropolitan area, i don't experience this.
I used to be the co-owner of my own little corporation, and I didn't experience this either...that's part of the point I'm trying to make. Larger corporations get all sorts of perks and special wink-wink-nudge-nudge deals that the little guys, and average citizens don't.
Quote:
do you have an example?
...there are literally thousands of examples of this--in the Seattle area, Boeing is currently extorting the state of Washington and King County in order to get massive tax breaks and other corporate welfare schemes.

I don't remember the details, but the State of Alabama offered MB millions in corporate welfare benefits so that they'd locate their plant down there. I seem to remember that the deal amounted to something like $200,000 per job...do mom n' pop outfits get that kind of treatment? Walmart gets all sorts of land use and tax welfare benefits so they can move in and displace local businesses--I could go on...