View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Unbanned...?

Re: Restoration of a 300D Turbo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jugo Driver#1

1. The preglow relay has burned out, and i was wondering what causese them to burn out and if there rebuildable. I dont want to spend a 100 dollars plug it in and have it burn out on me. Should all the glow plugs get power when i send 12v to only1 ?
2. I need a dash board because I was butchered when the Tumbler needed to be replaced Any ideas price?
3. What should be vaccum reading at idle because car has tuff time operating vacuum systems and shutting off. Vaccum pump dirty lines?
4. I was in Europe this summer going this winter wondering if the Euro circular lights will work with out modification. Like the look better.
5. Where to get a new carpet and mats Price? Oil got on it when Gauge leaked
6. Front new seat skins ?
7. Tachometer does not work ?
1- Test each glow plug. They should measure 0.6 ohms. If any are shorted out, that could blow the flat fuse in the relay (are you SURE it's not just the fuse?). Buy a used relay to save $$.

2- Salvage yards - use http://www.car-part.com

3- Vacuum should be 25 inches Hg at idle measured at the PUMP with the lines disconnected. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere in the car. This is common - buy yourself a MityVac Silverline 4050 kit from www.thetoolwarehouse.net , you'll need it.

4- True Euro lights are expensive (the complete one-piece "flat" headlamp assembly). To improve lighting, get Hella 7-inch round E-code lights from rallylights.com, I put these on my '84 and it was a HUGE improvement of the halogen sealed beams. ABout $70/pair, I think.

5- You can get the OE "Genuine Mercedes" mats from FastLane or Rusty - about $100 for all four. VERY nice quality. They include clips for the front mats that prevent them from sliding forward - nice touch. Kinda pricey, though - is the car worth it? If not, just get something cheap at McParts.

6- Get seat covers, or find a 123 in a local salvage yard with better seats and swap the entire seat. New seat covers will be too much $$.

7- Probably the tach "amp", the round thingy on the driver's side fender under the hood. Search the forum for info on this. Sometimes stuffing a shim in the top of the canister helps the electrical contact. This is a common problem.

HTH,

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!