View Single Post
Old 11-27-2003, 04:11 PM

Wow, we thought we had quality problems...

I was looking at the new Toyota MR2 Spyders. I liked the design and was not too concerned about performance. I was thinking it might be a car that my wife would enjoy. So I read some reviews on the Spyder and decided to visit a couple of boards to see what glitches it had.

Boy was I shocked at what I was reading. Our Toyota had been nothing but trouble free since we owned it. So, it never occurred to me that Toyota could produce a car with so many problems. A quick list:

Engines go bad and needing replaced as early as 20k miles. One poster had two new short blocks installed by 90k miles. The second one only lasted 22k miles!
Cats fail
Faulty clutch and troublesome SMT
Faulty ECUs
Faulty oxygen sensors
Faulty MAF
Belt tensioners go bad and rattle
Brake problems

Most of these posters had these problems between 20-35k. So all were getting new engines, transmissions, catalytic converters, computers etc replaced under warranty. A few posters were just out of warranty and being told they needed entire long blocks replaced.

The funny thing about what I was reading is that nobody was too upset about all this, or so it seemed.

I really am shocked that Toyota could produce something with so many problems. It makes the harmonic balancer problem look like a walk in the park!