View Single Post
Old 11-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Vintage Moderator

Peter: I measured the right - it was the one which was 5° off (I just installed a German keyboard layout to do the ° symbol - I got tired of using * or deg). I didnt do jack on the LH side once I saw the rails were metal.
The rails didn't have much wear at all on them. I know they get weak when they change color, but I don't care about it because they are metal-backed, after all. Why replace metal with plastic? Seems like it should go the other way around!

At any rate, my tensioner rail didn't arrive Friday (understandably - I did place the order late Tues and with the holiday on Thurs, if it was shipped out late Wed it wouldn't have come with the 2-day since Fri would technically be day 1). It should be there tomorrow but I don't need to rush to put it in right now. This is the next-to-last week of the semester for me ("dead week" - finals start next week) so I'll be out soon and have plenty of time. If I see that, with the new rail in there, the tensioner still "Pumps" in and out and oil visibly bubbles out as it goes WAY out towards the opposite chain end, I WILL put a new chain in it (even though cranking is probably when it puts the most stress on it, I don't want a late timing at any point). Besides, the chain is 32 years old. That alone should be justification for a new one!

Judging by how far out the tensioner has to go to keep it at the 5° mark, it's due for a chain. By reading old posts on the subject, it doesnt SOUND too hard. I assume I have to take the tensioner out though (meh, minor issue ). I keep saying though, she's been around for 32 years and 140K miles, I want her around for another 32 and 140K at LEAST! I suppose you could honestly say it's love of these wonderful vehicles that keeps them going! I don't care how she looks, she's still my baby!

A little off-subject, but is it just me or does a spark plug gap of 0.023" (.6mm) seem really tiny to anyone else? It's just odd that I never heard of a gap that small before! Oh well, she does run even better now with the gap that small (it said that in the emissions manual, in case anyone is wondering)

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k