View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 10:31 AM

The evils of dish detergent

While it MAY be true that dish detergent may damage pain, eight drops of it will not damage anything, just like a teaspoon of beer will not make you drunk.

It is, however, just the right amount to cut the road film, smog fallout and bug proteins and kelatins that obscure one's vision.

You could try such an ostensibly unsafe concoction on the inside of your gas filler door, or the areas under the hood where it will not show for possible damage. I am pretty sure that a weak solution of dish soap will not damage anything. eight drops to the gallon are probably safe to drink, although not with the degreaser added.

Mercedes uses extremely durable paint. The original paint on my 1985 300TD shines like new with a little wax. The paint on the 300D 2.5 is a clear-coat finish and the harsh Florda sun has burned off some of the clearcoat. There is no notable damage on any portion of either car that could be touched by my cheapo window washer solution.

Windex and other window cleaners seem to be just a weak detergent solution with a little alcohol and blue dye added. You can get windows cleanest with a 25-50% vinegar solution rubbed off with newspaper, then polished with a soft t-shirt or paper towel.

1990 300D 2.5 Turbo sedan 171K (Rudolf)
1985 300D Turbo TD Wagon 219K (Remuda)

"Time flies like and arrow, yet fruit flies like a banana"
---Marx (Groucho)