View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 11:39 PM

don't buy it!

I bought a mercedes 2 month ago...and I regret everyday of my ownership...

actually to be honest..I regret .....everyday minus the first week.....after that .....one problem after another......

Last week....I arrived to work normally......when it was time to leave....got in the car turned it on...put it in reverse...all of a sudden......all sort of ratteling, squeeking noise started to come out of the engine compartement. I poped the hood open....the tensioner was jumping up and down...futher examination revealed a tensioner shock that totally came loose. Now this part was preventitavely changed at the dealership 6 months ago for 160$. Stoped by the first independent I can see....Left it there and picked it up later....total charge 115$....(oh and it is just to put it back in place...no parts changed)......Friday I took it to the dealership.....U think they will tell you sorry Sir for the inconvenience......we'll do all the necessary.....but NO they made eloquently argue my case ..I felt I was begging them to change change...that should be changed under warranty...no questions asked ....Hey ....I over-excpect things from people....what can I do I have a big heart.

4 days later.......on my way back from work........on a red light.....my Idle starts fluctuating..and then car dies....I snap it back on and continue my drive...(saying to myself...Hey it happens...right??? well NO).......3 blocks later.....while having the gas pedal pressed....I would experience sudden short loss of power and then back on ..not lasting 1 second ...but you can feel it ....because the car...feel like its starved or bumpy.....this soon became worse....
Got home......checked eveything I could ...and since then ...I myslef have changed....plugs, wires, fuel filter...checked fuel pressure......OVP and fuel relay voltage......Mass Sensor seems working fine.....Running out of options I took it today to a friend of mine who has a Star Diagnostic system.....and ran it......well he tells me you have some hard codes....we look'em up and depending on the futher tests...this problem can be 3 things...A bad throttle housing (700$w/labor), ECU (1800$), or wiring (ruled out)......so I said ...what the f***!!!!!

At 74k......for a car...serviced since day one at the dealer with tabs for tune[ups at 800-900-1000 $, at every recommended interval......with an original price tag of 38K$........why is this happening?!!! CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN to me why would this happen..........I do not rough the car....I take really good care of it......

my only reasoning is that this car was not designed to drive this long.

what use to be a utility and reliability car...is now looks and gadgets...or commodity car.....

U have ECU failing left and right (unheard of in other makes)....u have MAS sensors doing the same......throttle housings......head gasket defected.....balancer shafts.......just take a look a this website and search it.....

I have owned 2 hondas in the past that were 8-10 year old, dorve for 3 years.....All I changed is plugs, oil, and brakes.

Cars should be made to be driven ....let us not fool ourselves....I am not here to defend Honda's.......but when we pay big bucks for a car, we should expect to have the mechanical/electrical top of the line.......hard to break and fail.

Mercedes might look like a solid car.......but when u see all these things fail on it..it makes me think twice about what our "chrysler's " real value...vs quality.

Another beef I have is with the mechanics....they also seem to think they can steal people.....just because they drive a Benz....It's ridiculous.....walk in a place that fixes japanese cars and they will charge you 45-55-60 $ an hour....another place next door that is specialized BENZ....wow....would not settle for less than 90-95-105..you name it.

Come on people....what is this world coming to......

Anyways.....I guess now it's a good time to annouce to everyone that my Daimler-Chrysler experience should and will soon end ...as I have decided to sell my car......

So if anyone is interested it's a 1996 C220, with 74k, immacculate outside/inside, clear corners, Lip spoiler w/ matching paint, CD changer, the color is Emerald/tan leather, OH and yeah this is a California car........Price to be discussed on the phone (818)681-9605 ask for Geo you will not be disappointed with the priced.