View Single Post
Old 12-18-2000, 06:57 AM

I don't think that MB is decreasing their quality at all. The new S500 was still named the best car in the world by most respected auto media. What MB is doing in expanding their line to include more accessible (cost wise) models to broaden the consumer base. Even though the new C-Class is relatively cheap, from what I hear it is still a great car (just ask Larry B.). I don't think you should worry about MB losing its prestige to other makes. Cadillac, Lexus, etc all use MB as a guideline of where they have to be. They all know that MB is the company they have to compete with. Anyways, just because another car is as fast as a Mercedes does not mean it is better. If you think about it how many cars other than a Mercedes would you honestly consider buying if they were 15 years old with 200,000 miles? Not many, unless you could get them for $500. Mercedes is still the leader in techological development and application. Hell, my 420SEL has an airbag and ABS (which is still optional on most cars you buy today). IF you want speed, buy a Honda Civic and tune it up like those guys on speed vision to do the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds. I don't think MB has a car that will do the quarter that fast, even the CLK55. Would you want to own one? I wouldn't. I can understand your concern, but I still think that Mercedes will be the leader in quality and innovation in the autoworld for a long time to come. Just remember these other guys are number two and have been for decades, so they have to shoot their mouths off for attention. I suggest putting the new Caddy Evoc up against the Vision SLR. Then we'll see who is who.

1986 420SEL - retired