View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 11:16 PM
benzpoor

94 c220 hard starting in warm air

I purchased this car about 3 months ago and it only did this occasionally, but it has become worse and worse since I took it to the local MB dealer. They have (so they told me) checked every component and replaced all of the faulty ones. There are no codes, no warning lights, they drained the fuel tank (no water or dirt) they ran industrial strength cleaner in a tank of fresh gas. They have had the car on and off about two months of the last three months. They've put about 200-250 miles on it, trying to find the problem. They say the OVP is good, they say the wiring harness is good, they've replaced the fuel filter twice, they replaced the plugs when they did the 60k service. The car starts fine and fast idles when it's cold, air temp that is. You drive the car and get back in it after only 10-15 minutes it starts great. Let it sit for 15-60 minutes it won't start unless you crack open the throttle about half way then when it does start it has a rough idle for about a minute like it had a miss or was flooded, but it doesn't blow any black smoke or smell of gas. I think it's some part that is being affected by temp above 50 degrees under the hood. The coolant temp doesn't seem to make any difference. It could be a wire making intermittent contact on the air temp sensor or it could be in the cold idle enrichment valve or the ECU. The local MB techs are at a loss. I've ordered a Haynes book for the UK, maybe it'll help. Wirhout schematics and specs I'm only guessing and was hoping someone else on the web had had the same problem and could give me some insight. Other than this one problem everything else about the car is excellent, runs and drives great, as good as my 2000 c230, just a little less power from the c220. Thanks for the reply.