Re: Brake bleed on 95 E420... questions
I have 92 400E and that should be identical
brake bleeders to your '95. My comments
preceeded by *
Originally posted by Joseph_H
1) Do I need to remove the tires to get to each bleed nipple or just raise the tires to get access?
*No. It makes it a little easier if the tires
*are off. I had mine off as I was working
*on the brakes. Make sure car is level
*i.e. do not have rear jacked up and front
*down...either all four on the ground or
*all four at the same height above ground.
*This will (hopefully) prevent air bubbles *from getting trapped in weird places in your *brake lines.
*Passenger Side Rear
*Driver Side Rear
*Passenger Side Front
*Driver Side Front
*You can choose to bleed the ABS
*contraption and that I believe that
*procedure is documented in the E-Class *Owner's Bible by Stu Ritter (your local *Barnes & Noble should have it)
*I did not bleed the ABS unit and have
*not detected any untoward issues.
2) Where is exactly the bleed nipple located and how does it look like? Is it covered with some special cap?
*The nipple is easy to find if you peak behind each wheel assembly and should have
*small black rubber cap on it.
3) Do I need special wrench, or can I use a box wrench and what size?
*I used regular box wrench...If I recall *correctly it was an 8 mm...but this was
*4 months ago so do not hold me to it.
*Again, easy to check.CAUTION: Do not overtighten those bleed screws when you are done.
4) I am planning to use the Motive Power bleed unit. How much pressure do I pump it to draw the brake fluid, I read somewhere 30 PSI, is that correct?
*That is what I used...I kept it 20psi seemed *to do the trick. Your mileage may vary.
5) What brand of brake fluid shall I use? Dealer parts dept guy said any DOT4 will do, is that the case? I thought MB recommends a particular brand?
*I used Valvoline Synpower Dot 4...I am sure
*there is a plethora of opinion on what to use. I use this stuff in all of my cars.
92 400E 128K
99 GMC YUKON 88K
Last edited by 400E_FAN; 12-11-2003 at 10:07 AM.